Main ecosystem services to be analysed: climate regulation and biodiversity.
Forestation is the mitigating forestry practice par excellence at a global level because of its capacity to increase a wooded area. In Catalonia this action is taken locally and is often promoted by financial interests linked to obtaining products of high added value, such as: non-timber products (truffles, pine nuts, and fruit), high-quality timber, or products of environmental interest (landscape, biodiversity, and soil protection).
These actions can be summarised as follows:
- The planting of forest with grafted stones pines and Aleppo pines to obtain pine nuts in the Els Aspres and Montmell UP.
- Enrichment planting involving diverse species (black pines, service trees, apple trees, European nettle trees, walnut tree, cherry trees, and pomegranates) to improve the biodiversity and auxiliary fauna as well as increase the carbon sink capacity of the Serres d’Ancosa and Vall de Rialb LUs.
- Agroforestry planting in other LUs to increase stand production and carbon fixation, and improve the landscape biodiversity of the area.
The existing plantations will also be monitored in order to assess carbon fixation over time in:
- Agroforestry plantations with broadleaf trees for good-quality timber in the Replans del Berguedà LU.
- Stone pine plantations in the Els Aspres LU.
- Plantació d’alzines tofoneres a la UP Vall de Rialb.
- Truffle oak plantations in the Vall de Rialb LU.